I get asked this all the time. The answer is always yes! Let me break down our avenues of income for you.
- Selling. The most basic. We earn 50% commission on every item we sell. From the start, no catches. You buy a lipstick for $9 and sell it for $18. That $9 is profit in your pocket immediately, you don’t have to wait for a commission cheque or cash card. If you found 2 new skin care customers a week and sold them a Miracle set, that’s $157 in commission. If you did that every week for a year, that would be $8,164. And that’s just one thing! Our customers love our products and personalized service, so most customers buy more than that. And you earn the same amount whether you sell in person or online!
- Residual income. Remember those customers I just talked about? (of course you do, it was like 5 seconds ago) Well, the average use up rate for a miracle set is about 6 months. This means that at least twice a year, they’ll be calling you to get more of this skin magic! 2 customers x 52 weeks = 104 customers 104 x $314 for two miracle sets = $32,656 which is $16,328 commission in a year! From just 2 new customers each week!!
- Dovetailing. This one sounds complicated, but it’s really easy. Say you book a party, but suddenly break your toe, or, you have a customer in another city who wants a live party. You can ask another Mary Kay consultant to cover it for you and you still get paid! The other consultant will pay you 15% of the party sales and you keep the hostess as your customer. The covering consultant will get the rest of the commission and the new customers she worked with.
- Recruiting. You can totally just sell with Mary Kay if that’s what you prefer, but if you build a team, you make money even when you’re not selling. When you recruit your first team member, you start earning commission from them. This is paid by the company, not by your recruits. You begin with earning 4% commission and can earn up to 13% depending on the size of your team! This is in addition to your own sales!
- Promote yourself to management. When you reach Director status, you get monthly bonuses on your unit’s production, PLUS your team commission, PLUS your direct sales commission! It adds up fast! You also can earn the use of a company car. If a free car doesn’t float your boat, you can take the cash equivalent which starts at a $500 bonus each month and goes all the way up to $1200+.
So yes, you can make money with Mary Kay. I personally know hundreds of women killing it every day. It’s a business, and if you work it like a business, you will get paid.