We’ve all had that day, where we’ve been running since dawn, worked, cooked, cleaned taken care of everyone else. By bed time, you fall face first into bed, bone-tired and ready to sleep. Then the voice in your head says “Did you wash your face?” And you angrily answer “I’m tired! I’ll wash it in the morning. Geeze, I’m only going to get like 5 hours of sleep anyway. What’s the difference?” Let me tell you the top 6 reasons you MUST wash your face every night.
I touched on the importance of face washing when I talked about things you need to be doing for your skin right now. But here’s a more in-depth look at why it’s so important.
- The world is out to get your skin. All day long, your skin is bombarded by pollution, radiation (UVA/UVB y’all), free radicals. dust, dirt, all kinds of terrible stuff. And that stuff sticks to your skin! It sticks in your makeup, or lotions or good old fashioned sweat and oil. If you don’t wash that ickiness off at night, it clogs your pores and seeps into your skin, slowing or halting the natural repairing process. Guys, your skin needs rest to repair itself. When you don’t wash your face, it’s like the upstairs neighbors are having a death metal party ALL. NIGHT. LONG.
- Lashes with mascara on them can become extremely brittle and break off at night. Also, leaving your lids clogged with makeup inhibits healthy lash growth. So you’ll have less lashes, they’ll be stubby, and take forever to grow.
- Not taking your eye makeup off at night has its own host of problems. You can get blemishes or styes from your pores being clogged. Eye irritations and infections from gross makeup being in your moist eye all night. Corneal abrasions if your makeup flakes and gets in your eyes. And lash mites. Do yourself a favor and DO NOT google that. You’ll never sleep again. But they feast on old makeup and skin cells. Why give them more to feast upon? (plus our makeup remover gets rid of those jerks toot sweet).
- Leaving your lipstick on can clog the pores around your lips causing blemishes. Also, lots of lip products nowadays have harsh drying ingredients in them, which can lead to your lips looking older faster and peeling/splitting easier.
- Leaving your foundation on at night slows or halts your skin’s natural exfoliation process. If your skin can’t naturally shed, it can clog pores causing blemishes, cause enlarged pores, make your skin dull and cause wrinkles to prematurely appear.
- Your pillowcases deserve better. They deserve not to look like a clown was murdered on them. Plus, you won’t have to spend nearly as much time getting the makeup stains out of them, or money buying new ones when the stains won’t go away.
I know right now someone is rolling their eyes and telling me they “just don’t have time” to wash their face. It takes 3 minutes. You are worth a 3-minute investment in your skin. You are worth taking care of the largest organ on your body. You are worth having glowing, healthy skin that makes you smile. Stop it. You are worth it.
If you’re too tired by the end of the night to stand for 3 minutes and wash your face, do it when you get home from work. Do it right after supper. Do it after you put the kids to bed and before you binge-watch Scandal. Just do it. Your skin will thank you.
Want to know what skin care is best for you? My celebrities get access to customized skin consultations, any time they need it!